Meta Generator Version Check Extension
Meta Generator Version Check is a web browser extension that checks the meta generator tag, that is sometimes placed in web pages, to see if it the web page is generated from an outdated version of web software. It is available for Firefox and Chrome.
A web-based version is also available available.
It currently includes warnings for:
- WordPress versions prior to 3.5.1
- Joomla 1.0, 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7
- MediaWiki versions 1.13-1.19.3 and 1.20.0-1.20.2 (earlier versions do not contain a meta generator tag)
- vBulletin versions prior to 3.8.7
- TYPO3 version 4.6 and versions prior to 4.5
- Movable Type versions prior to 4.38, 5.07, and 5.14
- concrete5 versions prior to 126.96.36.199
- Open Classifieds version prior to 1.8.5
- OpenX versions price to 2.8.10
- WooFramework versions prior to 5.4.2
If you see that we are missing a check for software that provides a meta generator tag with version information please let us know so that we can include that in the extension.
The extension has been localized for the Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian (Bokmål), Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese languages. More languages will be added in upcoming releases.
Report an Issue
To report an issue please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check a Whole Website
We also have tool that can be loaded on a website and check what versions of popular web software are running on the website. That can be found here.