Request a Malware Review from Google
Updated: January 17, 2013
Once the malware on your website has been removed a malware review needs to be requested from Google to get the malware warning removed from Google's search listings ("This site may harm your computer.") as well as the Firefox ("Reported Attack Site!"), Safari ("Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer"), and Chrome ("The Website Ahead Contains Malware!" or "Danger: Malware Ahead!") web browsers and Twitter ("unsafe link").
- Sign into the Google Webmaster Tools with your Google Account, if you don't have a Google Account create an account by following the "Create an account now" link on the page.
- Click on "Add a site..." button, type in the URL of your website and the click the "Continue" button.
- You will then be giving the choice to verify your website with a Meta tag, HTML file, DNS record, or Google Analytics account. Select which verification method you want to use. Place the verification Meta tag, HTML file, DNS record on your website if you are using one of those methods. Then click the "Verify" button. For more information on verifying a website see this document. If you are unable to use any of these verification methods follow the directions for requesting a review for a website that can not be verified.
- Click on the link for your domain
- Near the top of the page there will be a red box that says "This site may be distributing malware. More Details". Click on the "More Details" link. If you do not see the red box you should go back to step 2 and add either the www or non-www version of your URL depending on which you already added.
- Click the "Request a review" link.
- Click the checkbox "I certify that I have removed badware or badware links from my site, according to StopBadware.org's Security Tips For Websites.".
- Click the "Request a review" button.
- A review will then be initiated, which will take up to a day to complete.
Requesting a Review if You Can't Verify Your Website
If you are unable to use any of the verification methods, you can request an independent review from StopBadware.org. The first step in their review, which will typically occur the next business day after the review is requested, is to request a review of the website from Google. Google's review will take up to a day to complete, so you should not use this method unless you are unable to use any of the verification methods.
- On the Badware Website Clearinghouse Search page enter your URL in the "Website URL" field and click "Search Clearinghouse"
- Click on the link for the report on your website
- Click the Request an independent review of data providers' findings" link
- Fill out the fields on the page.
- Click the "Submit your Review" button