Earlier this week we noted that GoDaddy’s idea of security involved leaving websites insecure and dealing with the after effects of that. They are not alone, as here is how another web host, 123 Reg, promotes a security service provided by their security partner SiteLock:
Malware is malicious code that can attack your website and cause security or performance issues.
Google has discovered that approximately 30,000 sites are affected by this malicious code every day and just 14% are protected, leaving 86% of websites vulnerable to attack. It sounds scary, but there is a way to protect your website.
SiteLock® from 123 Reg provides your website with a credible, state-of-the-art diagnostic system that scans for threats and identifies known malicious code, removing it from your website automatically. Giving you peace of mind in knowing that your site is malware free.
There are 110 million variants of malware in existence today. You can’t check your website every day in case you’ve been attacked. Let us do it for you.
Of course if SiteLock is detecting malicious code on your website then it has been affected by malicious code. Real protection would stop the malicious code from getting there in the first place.
What seems like it should also raise questions there is if the really were “110 million variants of malware in existence today”, what are the chances that SiteLock might miss some. The answer from an earlier post of ours is that in reality SiteLock misses malicious code that 123 Reg is able to spot themselves.
Even if they were good at spotting malware, if code is able to get on the website then its malicious impact could already have happened by the time it gets removed. For example if the malicious code copies all of an online store’s customer details, removing the malicious code isn’t going to undo it.
If you are looking to protect your website we recommend doing the security basics since those will actually stop the possibility of many attacks, while services that claim to protect websites present no evidence they are effective at all and we frequently had people coming to us looking for one of those that works after having used a service that didn’t prevent their website from being hacked. If your website has already been hacked, then the solution is to have it properly cleaned instead of security service.